F J Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Sep 2016 00:55:23 +0000
We're running on RHEL 6, but I'd be interested in the solution to this.

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Scott Kraczek <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: systemd registration of listserv on modern Linux

Howdy,

I tried dropping the L-Soft provided sysV script into /etc/init.d on my new RHEL7 listserv server, but found that stopping the service under systemd failed to kill all the  ./lsv processes like it used to on RHEL5, leaving two ./lsv zombies to get in the way of maintenance operations. In general, killing the main Listserv PID as recommended by L-Soft just doesn’t seem to kill Listserv anymore:

kill `cat $LSVHOME/spool/listserv.PID`

Since I couldn’t find a reliable method to kill listserv all the way from the PID, I tried using the lcmd  tool to issue a clean SHUTDOWN command to listserv. I couldn’t convince listserv that root was authorized to run commands without making root@hostname a quiet, hidden Admin. Eventually I was able to convince lcmd to shutdown listserv, but I’m not sure if this is the best way.

Since I was re-writing the init script, I figured I might as well learn systemd. I came up with the following systemd unit file, (which relies on root@hostname to be a Listserv admin):

[Unit]
Description=Listserv mailing lists by LSoft
After=network.target postfix.service

[Service]
PIDFile=/home/listserv/spool/listserv.PID
ExecStart=/home/listserv/go bg
ExecReload=/home/listserv/go bg
KillMode=process
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=42s
ExecStop=/usr/local/bin/lcmd  SHUTDOWN

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Anyone have a better, more reliable way to register Listserv under systemd?

Scott K
IT Engineer, BYU