Samer Farha <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:39:23 GMT
Patrick Douglas Crispen ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Alright, I'll bite ...

: I'd really like to know the reasons behind Penn State's and Georgia Tech's
: recent decision to turn off (or at least severely curtail) their sites
: mail distribution lists. I just can not understand why any site would do
this.

Actually, LISTSERV is one of the most complicated and hence CPU intensive
programs out there. Being a listowner that had maintained a list by hand
for a few months, I can apreciate how difficult it would be to write a
listserv program...

It only follows that if you have to improve your own system preformance,
the easiest, and most economical (remember, this may seem free to you,
but these folks are paying for it both in cpu time and real money) way to
do it is to remove any unneeded overhead. Unfortunately for me and others
using GITVM1 as a host, this means LISTSERV has to go away.

Instead of being upset at these folks, we should be greatful that they
have managed for this long and that (at least for GA Tech) they are
giving us over a month to find a new host.

Samer
List owner of ShopTalk, looking for a new home.
---
PGP Key available by finger and www