Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Sep 1993 20:26:31 -0400
On Sep 24, 14:24, "John F. Bacon" wrote:
} Subject: Re: Posting to bit.listserv instead of e-mail
} I would like to thank all of you for your answers to my questions on
} posting to a newsgroup gatewayed to a LISTSERV mailing list.

} Reflecting on these comments, it seems to me that the threads are
} more likely to be received in time sequence,

At least on the news side, articles are very rarely in time sequence
no matter what you do.  Which is one of the reasons why threaded readers are
so popular.  I would not consider this reason sufficient by itself.

} if all responders mailed to
} the list rather than posting to the newsgroup.  If this is true, it would
} be nice if the newsgroup headers could force this, but I am not aware of
} anyway to do this and still preserve the flexibility of post,
} followup, and reply offered by most newsreaders.  (I think consistent
} behavior of SW is important for users.)

If the newsgroup was moderated, and the moderator address set to the
LISTSERV submission address (in the moderated group databases and servers),
then the news reader SW will behave consistently, and you won't having
looping problems.  UCBVAX won't have to send anything back to you.

There may be a problem if it's considered a USENET group tho - changing
from unmoderated to moderated status may take a vote, which could
take about 3 months.  If you're lucky it'll be an INET group, and
Erik E. Fair can do it, or advise you to other possibilities.

Then, you have to get the moderator-address servers updated (contact

Indeed, give [log in to unmask] a shout, and he'll let you know what the
best route is.  Your newsgroup already exists, right?  Make sure that you
tell him what the newsgroup name is.

--
Chris Lewis; [log in to unmask]; Phone: Canada 613 832-0541
Psroff 3.0 info: [log in to unmask]