Katherine Villyard <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:43:23 -0600
>    As an AOL member, I can tell you why I signed on to listserv.  On the AOL
>sceen, there were numerous listings for writers and those interested in
>literature.  It was my impression that there was a forum of sorts on these
>topics, but as yet I have seen nothing of the sort.  I would still be
>interested in seeing if this is available, but I really don't want to have to
>recieve absolutely every bit of mail relating to every possible topic -
>specifically computer brainstorming.

Well, this is a forum strictly for "computer brainstorming."  This specific
list is intended for people who install and manage listserv software.

When you sign up for a discussion list, you are basically asking to be
put on a list of email addresses to get every piece of mail people send
to the main address on a specific topic (in this case, listserv software).
There is no way to choose a "forum" except by changing the list to which
you are subscribed.  [log in to unmask] is always about computer
software.  I believe there is a Bronte list at world.std.com that is always
about the Brontes.  Etc.  When you are tired of getting mail on one topic,
you send a "signoff *listname*" message to the subscription address--the
one where you sent your "subscribe" message.

>    Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a smart***, signing onto this
>list has been very confusing and has not at any time been clear.  I was given
>a password, but what is it for?  All of the directions are vague and I have
>yet to see any of the information which I signed up for.   Yes, I still have
>the letter which I was given at the time I signed on. Any (patient) advice
>for a novice?  I'd appreciate it.

First, unsubscribe from this list.  You will not find anything but discussion
of listserv software here.

Going to the web site http://www.NeoSoft.com/internet/paml/ might lead
you to some lists related to topics of interest to you.

Also, please complain to AOL that the screen that suggested you join this
list was confusing.  You aren't the only person with this problem.

Katherine Villyard
Programming and Systems
Texas Woman's University