"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 18 Apr 89 08:29:28 GMT
>However, if I try to  do anything like: FOR [log in to unmask] Query
>* I get two different replies:

You are cheating! :-) In the first case, you have sent the request to your own
LISTSERV, for which you  are a postmaster. In the second case,  you sent it to
another LISTSERV, for which you are not  a postmaster. You can't expect to get
the same result in both cases :-)

>1. If I  use: TELL LISTSERV FOR [log in to unmask] Query  * the user
>   is notified as the mail included below  shows. But, no messages come to my
>   VM console.

After 30 minutes  of investigations, I eventually found that  the cause of the
problem is the lack of an ADDRESS COMMAND in LSVFOR, which causes some GLOBALV
stuff to be set in uppercase. I don't know how that can have happened, since I
always put an  ADDRESS COMMAND on top of  all my execs, but I have  sent you a
fix. In  any case, for your  own LISTSERV you should  use the QUERY *  FOR u@n
syntax, which will not send mail to the person in question.

>Well back on  earth ;-), since LISTSERV checks DOMAIN  NAMES for valid domain
>addresses already, what about the NAD for a whole domain as per DOMAIN NAMES:
>
>   :nick..UAKRON.EDU :gatemast.SPONSELL@AKRONVM

For years, I have been complaining  about the serious consequences of the lack
of a  ':internet.xx.yy.zz' field  in BITEARN NODES,  which would  have allowed
LISTSERV to know that AKRONVM  == AKRONVM.UAKRON.EDU (or whatever). For years,
I have been  saying that we need  that function RIGHT NOW, but  we still don't
have it.

DOMAIN NAMES is not the place where this info should be. A gateway master is a
person responsible for  operating a gateway, not for managing  accounts on the
myriad microVAXes connected to the local network. Also, DOMAIN NAMES should be
kept small, because it  is maintained by hand and has  no 'update' concept, so
you don't want every node to define their local network there.

That info should  be in BITEARN NODES.  There is a ":internet" tag  in the new
BITEARN NODES format  (but God knows when this new  format will be available),
which will solve most of the  problems related to domain addresses. This still
doesn't address your needs.  What you would like is a tag at  the site (or was
that called  member?) level, defining the  name of the local  network (if any)
and a default NAD address for it, in  case the node in question does not match
any of the ":internet" tags. Well, I  suppose that could be discussed, but I'm
afraid that's going to take a lot of time.

  Eric