Jeff Finlay <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Dec 1993 11:30:53 EST
> Jeff, I don't get it.  Why would you want to create one static toc that
> you would have to maintain when with the database engine, each user
> can create and structure and maintain their own, designed and tuned
> to fit their particular needs?  Are you trying to save some resource?
> Or provide some special service?   Or what?   Thanks.    Dave

Dave, maybe you hadn't noticed, but even though listserv is enormously
popular, it's like pulling teeth to get them--especially if they're
humanities people--to use ALL the resources of Listserv.
(The number of people who try to unsubscribe by sending to the list
rather than the listserv--something, I've noticed, that happens even
on this list--ought to be a good indicator of the Internet's lack of
'listeracy.' I run a list for humanities/historians/interdis people,
and while I try to increase Internet awareness as we go along, I'm
still amazed by the gap between real and assumed skills.

Which is why I agree with you but think that the possibility that
my subscribers would create their own databases is still rather remote.
Yes, I would like to provide a service--the list's posts have contained
valuable info from time to time on a variety of subjects, and I'd
like people to have access to this in a format that is easily
digestible, accessible and does not involve an immediate outlay
of time on learning something too new. (I prefer the inductive
method).

Jeff