Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:52:37 EDT
On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:34:40 -0500 Adam Floro said:
>This is what I get back from our LISTSERV/AIX when doing a "list" command.
>What is going on with the HEDIRS-L list?  Why is it held?  What does being
>"held" mean?  Is it different from being "locked"?  How do I turn this off?
>I tried "unlock hedirs-l" and that didn't take care of it.  Help!

When a list is held, it means that either the list owner or LISTSERV
maintainer has issued a HOLD listname command to stop the list from
processing mail (nothing is lost, the mail is simply queued) or LISTSERV
itself has held the list due to an error condition (daily threshold
reached, generally).  To free it, you simply issue "FREE listname".
Note that the list owner <always> gets a message telling him/her why
the list has been held.

When a list is "locked", that means a list owner has executed a GET
without the NOLOCK parameter.  A locked list will still process mail,
but people can't subscribe or unsubscribe or set options until the
list owner or LISTSERV maintainer issues an "UNLOCK listname".

Nathan