Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:55:24 -0600
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:08:01 -0500, David Young <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>One of my lists is having a really strange problem.  A subscriber,
>[log in to unmask] is not receiving mail sent to the list even though her
>subscription options are identical to others who are receiving posts.  A
>query of her settings returns:
>
>Subscription options for Jt Thompson <[log in to unmask]>, list IOMUG:
>
>MAIL           You are sent individual postings as they are received
>FULLHDR        Full (normal) mail headers (formerly "FULLBSMTP")
>REPRO          You receive a copy of your own postings
>NOACK          No acknowledgement of successfully processed postings
>
>Subscription date: 17 Apr 1998
>
>One matching entry found.

Pete, Fergal and Stan have given excellent advice on debugging the LISTSERV
backbone.  However, there is a much simpler diagnostic tool.

 SET listname FULL822 FOR user@address

This bypasses the backbone and forces LISTSERV to send her mail as an
individual RFC821 'envelope' with a single RFC822 recipent (her).  It also
shows up in the log this way as a single SMTP mail to:   If she doesn't get
this mail, then you have to look to real mail routing problems, etc.

I just recently cleared up a backlog of 8000 pieces of mail on one of our
big servers this way.  After much trace-routing it turned out the recipient
site was spam-blocking a few (but not all) lsoft.com IP's  Once we got
together and showed them the evidence they fessed up and cleared the block.

This is something the Owner can do initially, although the log searches etc.
have to involve the site admin at some point.