Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:19:11 -0500
At 18:07 1/27/2007 Saturday, Stephen C. Nill wrote:

>You've lost me here -- can you point me to a section of the (applicable) manual that discusses this? (I don't want to take up more of your time helping me if I can find it in the manual.)

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html#_Toc128537149

ADD(*) listname DD=ddname [IMPORT [PRELOAD]]

The first syntax is used to add an individual user to one of your lists, or update his name field. Note that you can substitute an asterisk ("*") for full_name and LISTSERV will substitute "<No name available>" in the list.

The second syntax is used for bulk ADD operations where a dataset (DD=ddname) is used add multiple users, one address/name pair per line. For bulk operations you may also use the IMPORT option, which implies a QUIET ADD (in other words you do not need to specify QUIET if you use IMPORT) and otherwise vastly speeds up the ADD process by loosening syntax checking and omitting success messages. The IMPORT PRELOAD option first appeared in 1.8d and is used to direct LISTSERV to preload the existing e-mail keys in memory before starting the transaction, which speeds the operation up considerably. This option is used primarily with DBMS lists to speed up bulk adds. PRELOAD is not necessary for traditional LISTSERV lists and does not normally lead to a significant performance improvement. However, when importing a new list (no existing subscribers), it does reduce CPU usage somewhat.

For a bulk ADD operation, the users are defined in a separate dataset beginning on the line following the ADD command.  For instance,

ADD listname DD=ddname IMPORT

//ddname DD *

[log in to unmask] User Name

[log in to unmask] User2 Name

... more address/name pairs, one per line ...

/*