Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:56:39 -0500
"LISTSERV site administrators' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote on 02/10/2004 03:48:13 PM:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:30:02 EST, [log in to unmask]  said:
> > "LISTSERV site administrators' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
> > wrote on 02/10/2004 01:15:15 PM:
> >
> > > We want to configure our website to have a different address than
the
> > > listserv address.  Example sending the post ends in a @oclc.org, but
we
> > > don't want our webpages to have that, we want listserv.oclc.org. Has
> > > anyone out there had to configure their install that way.
> > >

> > All that requires is a simple DNS entry:
> >
> > listserv        IN CNAME oclc.org.
> >
> > This assumes there is an A record for the server named oclc.org, if
not
> > adjust accordingly.  Whomever handles your DNS work should be familiar
> > with this.
>
> Note that this will often cause indigestion for mail, as it will
> sometimes show
> up as [log in to unmask] and sometimes [log in to unmask], based on whether
or not
> the name is canonified.  This becomes even more fun if there's also a
DNS
> entry that MX's oclc.org to a separate mail server machine... ;)

Which is why the person in charge of their DNS needs to be consulted.  All
of these scenarios depend on what DNS records they already have and what
servers do what.  I was imagining a simple configuration where they had a
server that ran only their listserve and the web interface, and nothing
else at oclc.org.

While not required by RFC, I like to see MX records for anything that
receives mail to eliminate confusion.