Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:17:58 +1100
OK, here's a really odd one.  I received the following error message from
one of my lists the other morning:

<begin snip>

Your message

  To:      <listname>@LISTSERV.TOWERSOFT.COM.AU
  Subject: FW:
  Sent:    Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:35:38 +1000

[log in to unmask] on Sun, 17 Sep 2000 08:35:56 +1000
    The recipient was unavailable to take delivery of the message
        The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=AU;a= ;p=TOWER
Software;l=MERCURY0009142234S8NH0PA1
    MSEXCH:IMS:TOWER Software:TOWER:MERCURY 3499 (000B099C) Host unreachable

<end snip>

Ordinarily this would result in my doing a SCAN of the list to confirm the
subscription then taking some appropriate action to fix it up.  LISTSERV
told me the address didn't exist on the list.  I then did a REVIEW
(including concealed subscribers) of all my lists (7 in total).  LISTSERV
told me that it didn't exist anywhere on any of the lists.  I've checked
with the original sender of the e-mail and she assured me that she sent it
directly to the list without a cc: or bcc: to that (or any other) address.

Has anyone experienced a "mystery" address like this before?  I'm a bit
concerned because the original list in question is intended for internal use
only.  Any idea how to track it down and take some action?  Are there any
other databases in LISTSERV that I can look in?  Perhaps one with
old/deleted subscriptions?  Any suggestions would be useful.

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

Note: Views expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the views,
opinions or position of my employer.