F J Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 May 2013 22:01:11 +0000
Hello Folks,
This *seems* like something others will have done, so I thought I'd ask ...

We make a good deal of use of course management software.  There is a concern the mail software in these might allow the harvesting of email addresses.  There are two alternatives:
-- Exchange Distribution Groups (the campus uses hosted Exchange for email)
-- Listserv.

Each class would have a list or group associated with it.

Using Powershell, we could script the creation of groups, then turn these over to the owners.  The groups/lists would be populated based on who has signed up for the course.  Over the semester, some students will join and others will leave, and this could be handled by the group management features of Outlook Web App (OWA).  However, FERPA restrictions mean some students cannot be added with the GUI (they do not appear in the Global Address List), and there is a general preferance the groups themselves be hidden from the Address List, so someone (us) would be doing group management.  A lot of it.

With a Listserver, the same data used to create the group could be used to populate the list.  Creating the list header is not that difficult (most of the settings would be unchanged no matter the list, including secondary owners).

Still, we could expect hundreds, perhaps thousands of lists to be requested essentially by machine.

As my note began, I suspect others have dealt with problems much like this, and I was wondering how they had solved it.
Thanks for any help/thoughts/etc
--Joe