Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:16:19 -0400
On 25 Jul 2005 at 14:56, Gartner, James <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I wanted to know what capabilities existed in the listserv/maestro world
> to handle this type of centralized email repository.  From what you
> indicate, I need to take a closer look at the Maestro system to see what
> is offered via the Web Pages.

Yes, I think Maestro is exactly what you are looking for. Our
Marketing materials on the data collection features is pretty scarce,
but I think the "Datasets" and Hosted Recipient Lists (HRLs) and
Hosted LISTSERV Lists (HLLs) is exactly what you are looking for.

See the LISTSERV Maestro Data Administrator's Manual for all the
technical details:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/maestro/2.0/maestro_data_admin.pdf

LISTSERV Maestro will allow you to set up one or more "datasets"
which are stored in the LISTSERV Maestro database.

Each dataset is a table with at least an email address, but also any
number of other fields. Within each dataset, you also create "lists",
which are either "Hosted Recipient Lists" (HRLs) available only to
Maestro (for posting through Maestro), or "Hosted LISTSERV Lists"
(HLLs) which form a database back-end to LISTSERV lists. For each
list (even the HLLs) you can access all the data in the main
"dataset" table, but you can also add list-specific data (if there is
extra information that you want to collect from your subscribers only
if they subscribe to that list).

Subscribers can join the dataset and then choose among public lists
in the dataset or can subscribe to individual lists (in which case
they automatically join the dataset).

You define the fields in the dataset and lists, and Maestro
autmatically creates the Web pages for collecting the data.

Once you have the data collected, you can access that read-only
through SQL queries to the Maestro database (we are in the process of
documenting this, but we can provide some assistance in the
meantime). Alternatively, you can download the data into CSV files
that can be imported into your other applications.

From what you describe, it sounds like Maestro could save you the
trouble of developing the Web Service you describe, and then all you
need to do is have your other applications get their data from the
Maestro database.

I'm attaching a 4-page PDF that describes the new features in
LISTSERV Maestro 2.0, of which the "Recipient Warehouse" was the main
one. It contains a couple of screen shots of sample subscriber pages.

--
Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>

Knowledge is just a click away: http://www.lsoft.com/optin.html

The following section of this message contains a file attachment prepared for transmission using the Internet MIME message format. If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any other MIME-compliant system, you should be able to save it or view it from within your mailer. If you cannot, please ask your system administrator for assistance.    ---- File information -----------      File: Maestro2.0-new-features.pdf      Date: 5 Oct 2004, 9:06      Size: 409024 bytes.      Type: Unknown