Liam Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:34:44 -0400
You can't edit the *.list files, but you can dump the *.list files to text
with 'listview', edit the text files, and replace the *.list files with
the edited text files.  If it were my site, I would write a script to:

1) Stop LISTSERV

2) Back up the *.list files

3) Run 'listview' against the *.list files to dump them to text

4) Run a regex against the text files to parse 'Owner' lines and remove
any commas that are not immediately followed by an e-mail address.  Or,
alternately, any commas contained within parentheses.  Or whatever other
regex fits the format of the troublesome entries.

5) Replace the existing *.list files with the edited text files

6) Start LISTSERV

LISTSERV will complain about the lists being in an invalid format, and
then will convert them back to binary.  I've used a similar method to
batch edit thousands of lists in the past, and it works well.  The hardest
part would be finding the right regex, and even that isn't so hard,
really.

--
Liam Kelly
Senior Consulting Analyst

L-Soft offers a full range of Consulting services,
delivered remotely or on-site.  See here for details:
<http://www.lsoft.com/products/consulting.asp>