Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 10 Sep 1986 17:30 SET
  Because of problems at both FRMOP11 (RSCS  V2 swallowing a few NJI codes from
the file)  and FRORS31  (being a  JES3 node), Spain  cannot reach  FRECP11 (and
probably  a few  other nodes).  We  had to  transfer this  file via  MSGXFER...

Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 1986 15:55:44 ABC
From:         Jose Maria Blasco Comellas <ZCCBJBC@EB0UB011>
To:           Distribution list <LSTSRV-L@FRECP11>

If  a list  is defined  as Subscription=  Open, setting  it to  Review= Private
(or Stats= xxx,Private) should have no effect. Consider the following
dialog:

  tell listserv at uiucvmd stats REXX-L
  R;
  FROM UIUCVMD(LISTSERV):  * You  are not authorized  to review  statistics for
  list REXX-L
  tell listserv at uiucvmd subscribe REXX-L anyname
  R;
  FROM UIUCVMD(LISTSERV): * You have been added to list REXX-L
  tell listserv at uiucvmd stats REXX-L
  R;
  FROM UIUCVMD(LISTSERV): File "REXX-L STATREPT" has been sent to you
  tell listserv at uiucvmd signoff REXX-L
  R;
  FROM UIUCVMD(LISTSERV): * You have been removed from list REXX-L

(The same stands for the REView command)

If  the list  has  been defined  as  Notify= No  (which is  the  case for  list
REXX-L at UIUCVMD) the only means of detecting such an
unauthorized (?) access is inspecting the LISTSERV's console log.

What to do? -- either define the list as validate= All Commands or
set it to Notify= Yes, so that this kind of access to the list can
be discouraged or at least detected. In any case, I think that
Subscription= Open, Validate= Store Only, Notify= No should
have priority over Review= Private and force it to Review= Public.

Any ideas?

J. M. Blasco