Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 12:05:24 EST
Well, you've got some fairly serious problems.

>> release
>LISTSERV(R) for VM version 1.8c, managed by:
>  "Terry A. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Master nodes file version:   *** File not found ***
>NJE peers file version:      95/12/22 17:16:39
>Internet peers file version: 95/10/24 18:02:26
>Service file version:        97/01/10 09:34:52 (VERS9701)
>Running under:               CMS release 12 (SLU 801 - ESA mode)

The first problem is that you have NODE set to an NJE host address
that doesn't currently exist (that is to say, there is no entry in
BITEARN NODES VERS9911 for a node called CTNVM107).

Second, you don't have a copy of BITEARN NODES at all (which wouldn't
solve the problem anyway because of the first problem).

Third, your other networking files (PEERS NAMES, INTPEERS NAMES, and
SERVICE NAMES) are dreadfully outdated.  The first two look like they
haven't been updated since long before 1.8c was released.

The reason LISTSERV assigns you a license number of 9999 is because
you aren't found in any of the networking files.  This isn't really
a problem (all unregistered hosts get the same number and it's only
used internally by them), but problems 2 and 3 are not helping matters.

I don't know how you use LISTSERV, but if your users are all internal
you could simply set

runmode = 'STANDALONE'

in LOCAL SYSVARS and then stop and restart LISTSERV and the server would
assume it was alone on the network and would handle all outbound mail
accordingly.  If you do have external users this would mean that LISTSERV
would also handle all their mail by itself rather than trying to hand it
off to the LISTSERV backbone.  Given your traffic stats this probably
wouldn't be an issue and STANDALONE runmode would probably work fine for
you.

The only other option would be to set NODE to the Internet hostname of
the server, ie,

node = 'LISTSERV.TIMKEN.COM'

and pick up the latest copies of the networking files from our FTP
site, in ftp://ftp.lsoft.com/listserv-data .  (Be sure to read the
"read before downloading" file in that directory first if you go this
route.)  Note that you should really update the files before making
the change to NODE.

Nathan