Randy Klumph <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:52:37 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>Im getting a couple of the same message without having lsmtp...

In response LSoft's reply below, I found an .MAI file in the LSMTP
spool directory that is a spam attempt with several hundred addresses
in Bcc: I removed the offending .MAI file and the error stopped. Your
error may be a related cause even though this addresses LSMTP
specifically

---from LSoft---

This usually indicates that at least one physical line in the mail
message exceeds LSMTP's line buffer limit, which defaults to 6144
characters.  The applicable Internet protocol, RFC 821, sets the
limit at  998 characters, plus a carriage return / line feed (CRLF),
so LSMTP's buffer is actually about six times larger than standards
set.

The most common cause for a physical line to be longer than LSMTP's
line
buffer limit, is that an HTML e-mail client used to generate the
message
does not wrap lines logically at some arbitrary right hand margin.

Another (albeit less likely) possibility is that LSMTP's own buffer
limit
has been reconfigured locally on your LSMTP server, and has been set
too
low.  (It should never be set lower than the default.)

You should probably also take a look at the files named in the errors
see what they contain.  We would imagine the contents may be either
spam or viral in nature.

Regards,
Randy Klumph

Western Oregon University