Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 02:09:36 +0100
>Has anyone gotten DBMS working with Oracle 7 on a LISTSERV 1.8d for NT
>installation?

First, make sure you have the release build of 1.8d and not a beta build. Many
minor DBMS problems were fixed during the beta.

>I've been having some problems (in particular with adding
>and removing addresses with underscores in them),

What problem exactly? There is a driver limitation which can prevent this but
I don't see it in the diagnostics you enclosed.

>| Connecting to ODBC data source...
>| > Driver manager version: 3.0.2822.0000
>| > ODBC driver: SQ032_73.DLL (02.00.03.01.01)
>| > DBMS: Oracle7 (07.03.0000)
>| [SEVERE] FOR UPDATE clause not supported, no locking will occur

We have O8 so it may not be the same thing, but we found that the driver
that comes with NT is buggy and the one shipped by Oracle works a lot better.
Actually I don't think that driver came with NT, it must have been VC++ or a
similar add-on, either way it was quite old and MS might not spend a huge amount
of resources to improve its reliability or performance ;-) The Oracle ODBC driver
is free and you may want to give it a try if it works with O7 (or there might be a
separate one for O7). In general I have found that many ODBC drivers are Win95
quality :-( Running our benchmark suite on Access was certainly a challenge :-)

  Eric