"Eric Thomas (Heidelberg Sc. Center)" <ERIC@DHDIBM1>
Thu, 23 Apr 1987 16:15 ESZ
  As I have said previously, I am being pushed by new LISTSERV owners who want
their server  to be  registered in  PEERS NAMES  so as  to participate  in the
DISTRIBUTE backbone, peer-linking, etc. This is not possible with release 1.5h
because  of  the  CMS  limit  of  65 arguments  on  'old'  plist  format.  The
restriction has been removed  in 1.5i -- I know, I'm  repeating myself and you
probably know about it.

  I have decided that I have waited  long enough (nearly 1 month unless I have
missed something) and  that I will have to satisfy  the new owners' legitimate
claim,  even if  it means  causing a  crash in  a few  servers here  and there
because they have not yet upgraded to 1.5i. I will therefore issue a PUT PEERS
NAMES command  on monday, with all  the new entries  added to it, and  all the
1.5h servers automatically  removed from the (new)  DISTRIBUTE backbone. Since
they will  probably end up crashing  some hours after receiving  the new PEERS
NAMES,  we don't  want them  in  the DISTRIBUTE  backbone any  more until  the
problem has been solved.

  I am sorry  to be forced to  cause such an inconvenience to  the 1.5h owners
but I have  somehow the impression that  those which have not  yet upgraded to
1.5i will "never" do it (where "never"  means "not until about 6 months" -- we
still have one 1.4 server and a few 1.5b ones, among others).

  Eric