June Genis <GA.JRG@STANFORD>
Fri, 31 Mar 89 14:28:04 PST
REPLY TO 03/31/89 12:19 FROM [log in to unmask] "Revised LISTSERV forum":
Re: Two more ( NETWIDE commands

Eric,

Despite the difficulties, I think it it is important to try and
improve the efficiency of the GLOBAL commands.  I have another
request for a new GLOBAL myself, namely SUSPEND.  I am on dozens of
lists scattered all over the world.  I shudder to think what I'd
have to go thru to turn them all off and then back on if I decided
to use a nice chunk of all my stored up vacation time and go far,
far away for a month or two.  There really needs to be a way to only
temporarily sign-off everything while letting LISTSERV remember
which they are.  I can envision either having to state the
suspension period when doing the SUSPEND or having LISTSERV
periodically convert all SUSPENDs over n days old to permanent
SIGNOFFs.

I suspect that there are other things that it makes sense to do
GLOBALly if possible that haven't been thought of yet either.
Therefore it seems worth the investment, perhaps by moving some
parts of the code out of REXX, to improve efficiency.

/June

To:  [log in to unmask]