"Victor S. Miller" <VICTOR@YKTVMZ>
Wed, 13 Apr 88 09:54:53 EDT
Is there some way of having a lists transmissions traced?  What I mean is
that every time a list sends a piece of mail to a recipient it is logged,
and the logs periodically sent to the moderator (or stored).  The reason
that I ask is to try to track down the problem reported below.  I have
no idea what is malfunctioning.  The person in question receives his
mail through a redistribution list at a site on the internet.  Thus there
would seem to be at least 4 places where things could go wrong:
 1) LISTSERV at NDSUVM1 (this contains the address for his list)
 2) LISTSERV at CUNYVM (this gets the distribute job)
 3) SMTP at INTERBIT (this needs to communicate with the internet)
 4) his local distribution list.
Unfortunately, all he did was complain about multiple transmissions without
giving me any information (he threw away the mail so I can't even look at
received: lines).  Has anybody out there successfully tracked down errors
like this?
>Theory net seems to be going crazy with multiple transmissions.  I suspect this
>is a problem with your automatic forwarder rather than the submitters, since
>it has happened for a variety of posters.  In any case, can you get it fixed?
                        Victor Miller -- IBM, Research