Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:18:00 +1000

> Nothing is displayed on our archives home page
> http://www.tr.wou.edu/archives/ with NS 4.7x  The home page
> for individual
> lists (listname.html) displays fine, but anything that uses
> wa.exe fails -
> I manually moved the new wa.exe file (dated 05-21-2002) into the
> appropriate cgi-bin directory. Everything displays properly
> in IE. So, why
> is it that I can view LSTSRV-L archives with NS 4.7? I don't
> understand why
> it works there but not on ours???

Randy

NN4 is notorious for not being 100% compliant with CSS2, HTML4 and some
JavaScript/DHTL functions, all of which LISTSERV web i'face uses quite a
lot.  When I looked at your homepage in NN 4.79 I had exactly the same
problem you saw.  When I inspected the code source I noticed that there was
quite a sizable chunk of HTML missing that you'd normally expect to be
there.  Stuff like the opening <HTML> tag, the entire <HEAD> section and the
Style Sheet plus the corresponding closing tags at the end of the document.
This is probably where NN is choking.  Unfortunately, I can't pin down
exactly which template is supposed to insert this; maybe L-Soft can point it
out?

LISTSERV uses some non-standard HTML which seems to work fine in Opera, NN6
and IE.  One thing to try is to edit the $WWW_ARCHIVE_HEADER and
$WWW_ARCHIVE_TRAILER templates and specify using standard HTML 4.01.  This
forces LISTSERV to use more 'correct' HTML and may fix up your problem.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.