Phil Howard <PHIL@UIUCVMD>
Mon, 06 Oct 86 15:17:14 CDT
Since UNIX is case sensitive, it will not be possible to address all the
userids on that system from many other systems that do not treat things
that way.  I guess the people running the UNIX systems here saw that there
would be problems and set things up to avoid them.  Since in general,
there will be problems with case sensitive systems, and the only solution
is to standardize to once case or another, then it seems necessary that
any UNIX system wanting to communicate here do so.  I still don't think
that it is LISTSERV's problem, since clearly to communicate with a UNIX
system not using a standard case means that VERY, VERY MANY programs must
be altered on MANY different kinds of systems.  It seems that the
standard is to disregard case, and force it to the internal standard
in use.  To do otherwise is simply non-standard and in so doing, you face
the consequences.                       Mark up another demerit for UNIX.