LISTSERV Administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 11:41:19 EST
On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 00:00:48 -0400 Automatic digest processor said:
>Date:    Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:13:45 +0200
>From:    Feher Ede <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: How migrate LISTSERV from VM to Windows NT?[via LSMTP - see
>         www.lsoft.com]
>
>My questions are:
>1. Has anybody experience with this situation?  (and share with me! ;-)
>  or knows a good memo for this.

Yup... I did this last May.  Unfortunately, while I was on vacation
in July, someone came in to my work area and my notes (along with
a number of other things were apparently filed in places still unknown).
But I know a couple things that will help, and if you have a consistent
header pattern (which fortunately we did for the most part), you can
write up a number of little REXXs to help with the migration.  They
don't have to be pretty.  Mine sure weren't... but they worked.

One important note.  *Before* you do anything with LISTSERV on the
NT machine, disable 8dot3 FileName Creation.  It will drag NT to
the pace of a dead snail otherwise.

>2. How can I do this migration without the mailing list service is =
>paused?
>   (Peer lists for a short time?)=20

IMO, that will be more trouble than it's worth.  Bite the bullet and
tell people that it won't be available.  I did our migration over a
long weekend here.  (And, no, I didn't get comp time for it... but it
saved me from doing the migration with the usual daily interruptions
I get in my work, and also over a period of time where most of the
work-related lists wouldn't be necessary.)  LISTSERV was down for
perhaps 5-6 hours at one point, but in little fits and starts at other
times.

>Date:    Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:39:42 GMT
>From:    Bob Jackiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ListServ owners
>
>Is there a way for me to query ListServ and have it tell me which lists are
>owned by a specific person? Someone wants to know all of the lists which
>they own, and I can't figure out a way to do that, short of sending e-mail
>to all of the lists -request addresses and seeing which ones they get.

What operating system?  I have a VM exec that can pull off the
owners for each list... (which was useful in the migration, which is why
I stuck them together in this message).  One of the things I did before
migrating was a full clean-up of "dead wood".  I made every owner confirm
that they wanted to keep their list.  We dropped about 1/4 of the lists
we had during the clean-up (which means that my migration took less time).
(And we're getting back to where we were pre-cleanup, but I'm making the
cleanup an annual event now.  It hadn't been done in the previous 10 years.)

I'll trade you the owner's exec for cleaning up ROO's MX records.  *grin*

-Holly