Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:25:46 -0500
> Date:    Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:07:31 -0500
> From:    Bill Earle <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Proper wasy of sending attachements to a Listserv list?
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for:
> 1. the proper method to send attachments to a Listserv list?
> 2. proper list config.info?
> 3. a list of MIME header[s] that are honored by Listserv?
>    - Our e-mail clients each had a different idea of the proper
>      MIME headers to send.

> - Recently we had an time sensitive announcement, that needed to be
>   send to the recpients of (2) large lists, in the form of a PDF
>   file. We made several test deliveries using different e-mail clients
>   to different Listserv lists. We could not get successful results
>   with any of our combinations and resorted to a brute force mass
>   mailing without using Listserv.

Please forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but why not post the
PDF on a secure (HTTPS) and password-or-otherwise protected web page
and just email a link to the PDF out to the list members?

This avoids any possible issues with
a) attachment encoding by sending MUA
b) size limits on recipient mailboxes
c) recipient MUA limitations
d) time-delay in delivering large files to many recipients over the internet
e) ...

Also, in the case where all the users are on the same system, there are
better ways to deliver large files, better known as bulletins, to all
users on the system, or to a select group of users.  Some programs have
such features as hard-linking the message into everyone's Maildir so
that only one copy is on the system rather than filling up disk space
for X copies.

Cheers,
Glenn