Ben Chi <BEC@ALBNYVM1>
Wed, 22 Nov 89 16:07:25 EST
On Wed, 22 Nov 89 18:45:29 GMT Eric Thomas said:
>>1. LSV  has MAILER 193 (which  contains XMAILER NAMES and  DOMAIN NAMES)
>>linked by  virtue of a  command in its CP  directory. Does it  access it
>>only when required, or is it  accessed continuously (in which case, with
>>what mode)?
>
>It  is never  accessed.  That is,  LISTSERV itself  won't  access it;  it
>doesn't even  know that it has  a link to  MAILER 193 as 193  with DOMAIN
>NAMES on it. It's accessed by PROFILE EXEC, if at all.

There's something then that I don't understand.  In LISTINST MEMO there's
given a sample CP directory entry for LSV that includes, among other
things,

LINK MAILER 191 xxx RR

so we have a corresponding LINK MAILER 193 291 RR in our directory entry.
There is no ACCESS MAILER 193 in our LSV's PROFILE EXEC.

Yet LSV seems to be able to find XMAILER/DOMAIN NAMES.  Witness the fol-
lowing example (from my console log):

msg listserv cp det 291
Ready;
* DASD 291  DETACHED
* Return code 0 from CP DET
msg listserv shutdown reboot
Ready;
* The average CPU time used by LISTSERV for this session is 1.5%. Since
* LISTSERV was last  rebooted . . . etc., etc., etc.
*
* LISTSERV is being rebooted by [log in to unmask]
* Revised LISTSERV, version 1.6c starting.
*  (c) Eric Thomas  1986,1987,1988,1989
* Note: file "XMAILER NAMES" has not been made available to LISTSERV.
* Note: file "DOMAIN NAMES" has not been made available to LISTSERV.

A subsequent "msg listserv stop", "cp autolog listserv xxx" does NOT
produce the last two "Notes:."  So clearly detaching MAILER 193 was
what caused them.