Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 May 2003 10:54:52 -0400
On Mon, 12 May 2003, Bill Brown wrote:

>I have a Win2000 server dedicated to running Listserv Classic.  It will be
>backed up using Tivoli Storage Manager to the IBM Enterprise Server across
>the network.  In order to reduce the amount of data backed up and time
>required both to backup and recover a failed system, what is the best
>strategy?
>
>Should I just backup the \Listserv directory and the web archive
>directory?  Will this allow me to reinstall the OS, TSM and Listserv and
>then restore the data to be fully back up and running?  Is there anything
>else that would need to be done to get back online?
>
>Should I backup up the entire system?  To recover, I would have to install
>Windows and TSM to directories with new names, restore the whole system,
>including Windows and TSM to original directories, and then reboot.  That
>*should* take  me back to a working system.

How much data is on your Listserv server's disk volumes? Is your Listserv
very active? I just do a weekly full backup and daily incrementals of my
Listservs with Legato NetWorker. That strategy works fine, but the optimum
strategy for you really depends on the amount of data you have on your
server and the portion of it that changes each day. You might want to post
your question on a Tivoli discussion group since this issue really isn't
specific to managing the Listserv software.