Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 5 Sep 1986 21:00 SET
  Marc, what  you need is  1.4. It  makes use of  the XMAILER NAMES  and DOMAIN
NAMES file, in addition to the "if userid = 'MAILER' then...." check.

  Harry, I don't agree.  We don't want an additional file  to be maintained for
each list,  it would make the  STORE process a real  pain. We DO want  users to
know how the  list is configured and  who is the list owner.  Phil, the routine
that reads  the keywords is not  the same as  the oneS that reads  the userids.
Only one  routine reads keywords  (and puts in  in GLOBALVs for  better speed),
and a lot of routines need to get the  list of people on the list. Not that I'm
trying to  save myself programming time,  but I don't see  any really important
reason to modify the current system.  It would introduce unexpected changes and
the users (and  list owners) would start asking the  postmasters why things are
now this or that way. Not a desirable thing to do I think.

  Mike, what you need is either a 1.4 host (SET LSTSRV-L NOMAIL), or an AI pro-
gram that sits on the interrupt handler, traps everything from the card reader,
reads in the  contents of the mail  file, analyzes it and discards  the file if
not interesting. That way you're not even aware that junk mail has been sent to
you :-)  Now I wouldn't want  to be the one  that has to write  the program ;-)

  Eric