Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:38:11 -0400
On 22 Jun 99, at 14:30, Michael J. Langum wrote:

> Thanks for all the good suggestions I got.  They have helped me
> to discover that the problem is that the server is not RECEIVING
> mail.

The problem is probably not that your server is unable to RECEIVE the
mail, it's that the mail never gets there.

There is an MX that routes mail for LISTSERV.OPM.GOV through
servfwDC.opm.gov. I've just tried it, and it _is_ accepting mail for
[log in to unmask], so that's a good sign. Next thing is to find
out what it does with this mail. You should check the logs there.

Ideally, it's best if LISTSERV accepts its own mail, but if it's behind a
firewall, then that's not always an option.

To test whether LISTSERV (or really SMTPL aka "the listener") is accepting
mail, telnet to port 25 of the server and see if it responds. I can't
connect, but that probably means it's behind a firewall. If you are on the
same side of the firewall as it, you can try:

TELNET LISTSERV.OPM.GOV 25

and see if you get a response.

Francoise