Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 06:39:08 +0100
On Fri, 17  Feb 1995 18:32:05 CST  Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>   One of the more common error message that I get from Listserv is when
>someone posts  a message that contains  header lines in the  body of the
>message. I need to know what  RFC specifically is being violated so that
>I can convince the author of a Usenet reader to change his ways.

This  isn't about  RFCs,  it is  about preventing  mailing  loops. It  is
perfectly legitimate to  include header lines in the body  of your reply.
The problem is that there are thousands of mail systems that don't follow
the RFCs and  don't send delivery errors to the  right address. They send
them back to the  list. Your options are to call each  of these sites and
talk them  into fixing their mail  programs, or use a  loop detector that
identifies the  delivery errors. Unfortunately  it can't tell  a delivery
error  from the  replies your  usenet reader  is generating.  If you  add
"Loopcheck= NoBody" to the list header, he and the broken mailers will be
allowed to post.

  Eric