Mark_Strawcutter <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Aug 1991 12:07:00 EDT
>Hi there,
>  Several of our local lists have recently started bouncing messages
>from userid's like: [log in to unmask]  The stated reason is usually
>"mail origin seems to be a mailer or mail-daemon."
>
>This is the header of one offending posting:
>>Date:     Tue,  6 Aug 1991 16:52 EDT
>>Original_From:  NEIS::ALERT
>>Comments: This is gatewayed mail.  Warning:  Mail may not
>>          necessarily be returnable through this path.
>>From:     General Delivery <POSTMASTER@USGSRESV>
>>To:       SEISM-L@BINGVMB
>>Original_To:  ISDRES::BITNET%"SEISM-L@BINGVMB"

What you are seeing is an example of how while JNET might provide good NJE
transport, it's mail facilities STINK.  They need to run a mailer (MTA) like
PMDF.

Here's what happened:  bitnet node USGSRESV is on a local decnet as node
ISDRES along with decnet node NEIS.  User at NEIS used decnet to send
mail to ISDRES for gatewaying to bitnet.  Brain-dead JNET sends it out
from postmaster.

>I sent to NetServ@PUCC for the Nodentry for USGSRESV and found the name of
>their techinfo person and netop to be J Fisher (JFISHER@USGSRESV).
>
>I debated writing this person, but decided not to when other lists started
>getting ill w/ the same problem.

You should complain loudly to him and anyone else not running a mailer.

That said, you need to look into putting you own house in order.  You
don't run a mailer.  You run UCX which has no provisions for SMTP (at least
it's currently rejecting connection attempts to port 25).  Running PMDF would
allow you to accept BSMTP mail, generate BSMTP mail to those bitnet nodes
that want/expect it, and be able to send mail over the Internet since it
provides SMTP service via UCX.

Mark J Strawcutter                           BitNet:    MJSTRAW@IUP
Director, Systems and Communications         DNS (mx):  [log in to unmask]
Indiana University of Pennsylvania           Voice:     (412) 357-4000
Indiana, PA   15705                          "you can't nail jello to a tree"