Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:00:35 -0500
On 2/26/2010 06:39, Eric Thomas wrote:
> QUERY should be faster than grep and is the fastest command that will answer your query. List files are binary files on Windows and unix, so grep output will probably not be what you expected :-) The version of grep I am using copies the entire list file to standard output... Ouch!
>
>   Eric

Built-in LISTSERV commands are, in most cases, the most effective tools for
finding all lists to which a given address is subscribed, or all lists on which
a given address is specified as an owner, but there are no built-in LISTSERV
commands to find all lists on which a given address is specified on keyword
statements other than 'Owner='.  In those case, the simplest way to find the
information one needs is with a script that executes listview for each .list
file and pipes the output to grep.  Of course, once you have a script that does
this, you can use it to find owners and subscribers, as well, without putting
another task in the lsv queue.  On systems with performance constraints, this
might be a consideration.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team