Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 May 90 16:54:15 EDT
 I recently noticed that a number of Listserv lists which are local
 re-distributions of the JHUVM list NIHGDE-L, appear in LISTSERV LISTS.
 After checking the list headers for these lists, I found that they are
 set-up as "confidential=no" lists and therefore globally known.  I'm
 pretty sure I know how this happened...  The owner of JHU's own local
 re-distribution mentioned that he had helped other people set-up
 their lists.  Since he had changed our local list to "conf=no", I'm
 fairly certain that he'd suggest that others do the same.  (Our list
 has been changed back to "conf=service".)  I'm going to contact the
 people that own those lists and let them know that there is no need
 to make their lists global (regardless of what they might have heard
 previously).  The reason that I'm posting to this list is that the
 situation raises several questions.  Aside from the fact that Listserv
 can't direct people to the closest list (since it doesn't know that
 the eight or so local lists all really deliver the same material),
 can any other problems arise?  This case is particularly bad since
 two lists share the same name (NIHGUIDE), and two other lists share
 the same "network wide name" 'NIH-GUIDE'.  None of the lists are
 peered.  Aside from being confusing in general, does this sort of
 thing have the potential to create any serious problems?  I've
 appended the relevant sections of LISTSERV LISTS.

 -jj

'NIH-GUIDE'      NIHGUIDE@TCSVM    NIH Guide List (TCSVM)
                 NIHGGC-L@UBVM     NIH Grants and Contracts Distribution List
'NIHDOC-L'       NIHDOC-L@LSUVM    NIH Guide List (LSUVM)