"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <REICHETZ@AWIIMC11>
Wed, 25 Oct 89 10:48:33 SET
On Tue, 24 Oct 89 18:27:20 GMT Eric Thomas said:
>Here is  an except from the  minutes of the last  EARN Network Operations
>Group meeting which I am afraid I simply cannot let pass.
>

>I take offense at the following statement, which is completely erroneous:
>
>>        It was noted that certain EARN  sites have been removed from the
>>        BITNET  version  of  PEERS  NAMES, and  that  this  was  causing
>>        problems.
>
>Either this information was brought to the  NOG as it is written here, in
>which  case  we   have  a  serious  communication  problem,   or  it  was
>misunderstood by the person who wrote  the minutes (and, given that Niall
>is  quite  knowledgeable  about  LISTSERV,   it  probably  means  it  was
>misunderstood by a majority).

Gads, yep ...  had to read it thrice  to understand. It didn't occur  to me in
the first place  that someone really thinks that Eric  removed those site from
PEERS NAMES  ! Forgetting  this mis-information  I would  like to  know *what*
problems have been encountered. Could someone speak up??

>Shortly thereafter, I have received a  note from Dermot O'Beirne from UCD
>(IRLEARN) explaining that,  having been made responsible for  EARN at UCD
>all  of a  sudden, it  had taken  him time  to understand  the day-to-day
>realities of EARN  operations, and LISTSERV in particular.
I remember  him asking for  some help with  LISTSERV, can't remember  what the
topic  has  been  but I'm  sure  if  you  are  handed a  LISTSERV  with  zilch
information and no docs  on what has been set locally -  well, you're in kinda
trouble.

LISTSERV@ICNUCEVM is diconnected and not receiving, at least since 3 hours.

>I am  now strongly tempted to  cease any technical cooperation  regarding the
>LISTGATE project,  and to stop  wasting my time on  maintaining compatibility
>with  LISTEARN (which  cost me  1h  of time  last  week). I  will wait  until
>tomorrow to  make sure my  decision on this respect  is not emotional,  and I
>will then let you know what I have decided.

Well, I understand  the temptation. I can't understand things  like in the NOG
minutes excerpt. Who is trying what? If EARN (whoever that is in this context)
wants Eric to leave  the hands off of LISTEARN, well  then they should clearly
say and do  so - i.e. either  taking care that the LISTEARNs  behave like they
are supposed to do, especially the  backbones, or demand the split of LISTSERV
and  LISTEARN. It  would then  be a  clearer situation.  The proposed  text to
BITNET implies that PEERS NAMES is the only problem. It's in fact a very small
one - considering that there is no agreement between BITNET and EARN about the
compatibility of LISTSERV and LISTEARN.

Christian