Rich Wiggins <RWWMAINT@MSU>
Thu, 2 Nov 89 15:19:40 EST
>I don't think there is anything you can do about this, except what we did:
>we have a reader eating program that deletes anything older than a week.
>(of course, with exceptions that you specify).. If interested, you can
>obtain it from LISTSERV@TREARN (the filename is RDRDEL EXEC, requires
>VM/SP 4 or above)  Regards, -turgut

...We have run with an 8-day purge for years now, for that reason.
But there are options:

-- With some mail packages, you can funnel the mail files out of
your spool and into the mail database.  We are doing that as we
migrate to the EMC2 electronic mail package.

(Then, you worry about space in your mail database, instead of the
spool....)

-- You can encourage your users to run MAIL on a scheduled basis
to read up the files.  I believe some PROFS sites with centralized
control actually autolog their users in the wee hours of the morning
to accomplish this on the user's behalf.

-- You can charge for spool space.

-- As others suggest, you can encourage use of Netnews instead of
having everyone subscribe to lists of interest as individuals.

/Rich Wiggins
 Computer Lab
 Michigan State U