Oliver Menge <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:15:56 +0200
Dear Colleagues,

I am (pretend to be) the site owner of a LISTSERV-Installation,
which I overtook some two years ago and ever since worked like
a clockwork.

However, for a couple of days (October 8th, to be exact) I'm
experiencing strange effects with disastrous effects for our
site.

We have setup a public list (Send=Public) REDAKTION with a web
archive and on that list tons of spam are received which however
is tolerated by the subscribers.

Now (since Oct 8th) we receive occasionally (9 times as of
yesterday) spam messages that cause the following phenomenon:

The current archive file (REDAKTION LOG0510D in the latest case)
is filled up with 0D 0A until the disk is full (which in the
present case yields LOG-Files of more than 9GB). Of course
LISTSERV meanwhile is not completing any other jobs.

The only remedy is to stop listserv (net stop listserv), to move
or delete the giga-archive away and restart listserv. The
respective JOB-File in my LISTSERV\SPOOL directory remains a
held JOB (extension JOBH) and does not cause any further problems.

The phenomenon is reproducible either by renaming an evil job back
to *.JOB or by extracting the contents (a multipart spam message
with a gif-attachment and some html-junk) and resending it to the
list. I haven't tried all possible variants but at least with one
message I can trigger that behaviour.

The server identifies itself with:

  [log in to unmask] is a non-backbone server running
  version 1.8e of LISTSERV(R) for Windows under Windows 2000
  Advanced Server.

So, is this behaviour a known bug? Can I provide more information
(e. g. an evil job, the LIST-File, LISTSERV-Logs etc.) to make
the myself or the problem clearer? I'm at my whit's end...

Thanks in advance for any of your ideas or hints, kind regards,

Oliver Menge