Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:16:50 -0400
On 23 Apr 99, at 7:53, K.V. Rao wrote:

> I am also looking for the same thing for quite sometime. The problem in
> running listserv and www on the same server has been slow response time
> when listserv is posted a message for deliv. I have seen the search req
> sit on the web and finally give up due to lack of response from lsv. I
> really like to be able to run the archive web interface on the different
> system than the listserv to avoid this problem.

That will not solve the problem and only cause more problems. The wa
program does not do the searching -- it submits a search request to
LISTSERV and waits for a response from LISTSERV. LISTSERV gives
priority to interactive connections over email commands, but it will not
interrupt a command in progress.

> I have downloaded the listserv lite and installed on my www server system
> to experiment. About 10 lists are created on www server system with
> identical names as listserv server (something similar to peer listing?).
> Now the response time is really good all times. The only drawback is we
> have to keep two archives, running two lsvs on two different systems, and
> make sure all postings are recd by both. Also, I may have to get another
> lic key to be able to run duplicate all lists on www server system.

I'm puzzled about this setup, because LISTSERV Lite doesn't do
searching.

Nevertheless, I guess that setup would work, if you get it rigged up right,
but it seems like a bit of a nightmare to set up correctly and maintain. I
would think that the money spent on personnel to get this set up plus
the cost of another machine plus the cost of another LISTSERV license
would be better spent upgrading the one LISTSERV machine you have
so that performance is not such a problem. After all, L-Soft has NT
boxes with hundreds of lists on them, some quite large, and we rarely
have a performance problem doing web-based searches (you might have
a bit of a wait for a search of LSTSRV-L archives if you don't provide
date parameters on your search, but then LSTSRV-L archives go back
to 1986 and hence they're huge).

I don't know what platform you're running on, how much memory you
have, which version of LISTSERV you're using, nor the number, size, or
configuration of your lists, so it's difficult to get specific about what you
should do to increase your performance. However, I do think that it
would be more cost-effective to upgrade either or both of the machine
it's running on (more memory and/or faster CPU) and the version of
LISTSERV (you need HPO if you have a large site with many lists or
very large lists, say over 50K subscribers total, and you need
LISTSERV Classic (not Lite) if you have over 10 lists/10K subscribers).

Francoise