"Michael R. Gettes" <CCMRG@BUACCA>
Thu, 17 Nov 88 14:41:11 EST
>We are writing a gateway too and it would help us be a
>good network citizen if we knew what LISTSERV will
>interpret as a rejection notice.

I know listserv checks the subject field as follows:

 If subj = 'UNDELIVERED MAIL' |,         /* Crosswell MAILER */
    Left(subj,22) = 'UNABLE TO DELIVER MAIL' |,   /* Mult*cs */
    subj = 'RETURNED NETWORK MAIL' Then  /* VAX-type  MAILER */
    Call RejMail 'mail subject indicates a delivery problem'

I believe he also checks to see if the sender was a "defined
trusted mailer" from, ultimately, the BITEARN NODES file.
/mrg