Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 09:04:39 CST
On Wed, 15 Feb 1995 08:13:52 CST Patrick Douglas Crispen said:
>Alright, I'll bite ...
>
>I'd really like to know the reasons behind Penn State's and Georgia Tech's
>recent decision to turn off (or at least severely curtail) their sites
>mail distribution lists. I just can not understand why any site would do this.

I can understand it.  Recently (2 weeks ago), our VM machine came down
to it's knees because of the beginning of semester Listserv traffic.
The top 6 users on our system were Listserv, and 5 smtp servers.  There
was serious talk about stopping Listserv ENTIRELY (even the lists that
served only local interests).

What saved our buns was we got a 5 point license for an additional
Listserv to run on one of our unix boxes that is primarily only a
server machine (ftp, www, & gopher).  ALL of our VM listserv traffic
now is routed through this unix box.  It has made a serious impact
on the unix box, but that's ok - there are no *users* on that machine.
For those sites considering restricting listserv, I would highly
suggest doing what we did.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)

If you want to make life easier for novice computer users, do NOT give
them a restricted menu.  A restricted menu is simply the lazy way to
avoid teaching them what they really need to know in the first place.