"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Mon, 1 May 89 21:57:42 GMT
>What do I have to do to use the dynamic mdisk feature of listserv ?
>I have set up the following but listserv keeps using the FILEDISK mode.
>(if I change FILEDISK to F, listserv tries to put the file on the F disk)
>

>LOCAL    SYSVARS
>----------------
>FILEDISK = 'A5'
>MDISK.222 = '* N L L 85 95  //(222) is a Dynamic Disk.'
>CHECKMDISK = '191 192 222'

Fine.

>LISTSERV FILELIST
>-----------------
>/F/  MITTST   FILELIST   ALL OWN V     104    26 89/05/01 12:01:48 General

Fine.

>MITTST   FILELIST
>-----------------
>*+ SOM=(list=MYLIST)
>  NEWFILL  TST        SOM OWA V      80    16 89/05/01 12:01:39 Office

The correct syntax is *+ SOM=(MYLIST)

>MITTST     FILEID
>-----------------
>1
>NEWFILL TST NEWFILL TST *

So, now I have a question for you. How do you expect LISTSERV to know that you
want the files on the dynamic 222 disk if there is no mention of '222' in your
definition? LISTSERV is correct in putting the stuff on the FILEDISK, which is
by definition the default disk when nothing is specified. I suppose you want
all the files on MITTST FILELIST to end up on the 222 disk; the easiest way to
achieve this is to add a line to your MITTST FILEID (after the "1" which must
be left in line 1) saying "*DEFAULT* X1/222"; you should either delete the
entry for NEWFILL or change its filemode from "*" to "X1/222". You can also
use this syntax on the "Notebook=" keyword of a list header. Please refer to
my announcements on the LSTSRV-M archives for more information.

>Assuming I get it to work, will listserv 'release' the disk when
>it is through ?

It may, or it may not :-) In fact, it will never release it upon completion
of the command, but it may release it afterwards if it needs to reuse the
filemode slot for another disk. If it doesn't need to, it will leave it
accessed "forever", to avoid unnecessary I/O operations.

  Eric