Thu, 31 Jul 1997 19:18:09 +1000
Hello there!

> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:27:54 +1000, you said:
> > *** START 3 ***
> > From: John Smith <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> > SUB <listname> [log in to unmask]
> >
> > This should send an aknowledgement to [log in to unmask] mentioning that the
> > user [log in to unmask] will be asked to confirm the subscription.
>
> Given that most of the world is still ignorant of digital signatures,
> what does whis buy you that simply setting the From: field to the victim
> doesn't get you?

I am not sure I understand what you mean, but basically this would allow
people to initiate a subscription request (or signoff) on behalf of
another user (some times themselves on another account).  Also it would
allow list owners to do things on behalf of the user but the user takes
over after the initial request is made (rather than the owner doing it all).

Regards,

David