Jean Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:52:16 -0500
I just got off the phone with the sysadmins at what I'm calling
'unhappyplace.org'.  They were unhappy because they had 80K messages in
their queues for a user, whose vacation program got into an email loop
with Listserv.  We discussed vacation rules they might use (they use
Groupwise, which I'm pleased to say I know nothing about) to prevent this
from happening again.

The reason I'm writing is that I'd have expected listserv to have said
'Unknown command ... try HELP' fifty or so times and then to have served
off the user before much damage was done.

Instead, it said:
8 Feb 2002 06:45:51 -> Rejected:
* Your message is being returned to you unprocessed because no command was
* found in the message body. LISTSERV  expects commands in the body of the
* message, rather than in the message  subject, because some users have no
* control over the contents of the "Subject:" field on outgoing messages.
8 Feb 2002 06:45:51 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]

The sysadmins say there was text in the body of the message (the usual
vacation stuff).  But maybe they're wrong... that's the only thing I can
think of.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jean Snow