Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:40:32 EST
* LISTSERV 1.8a LMail 1.2a under VM/ESA Release 2.2

We have a list that is defunct. A spammer(s) have been spoofing
subscriptions for that list which not only increases our traffic but is
sending unnecessary and unwanted mail to the poor soul being spoofed. I
reinstated the list to stop the bouncing mail. That helps us a bit, but
is there a way to prevent the listserv from sending a message (cc:) back
to the user that the request is being processed, etc... ? This would
kill the spammer(s) attempt to annoy and/or pester the spoofed user. When
the list was killed the individual received message, list not known. Since
we aren't a backbone server anymore that increased the traffic on our sister
University, as the message was forwarded to their listserv. Sorry we can't
upgrade to a more current version of listserv as listserv is migrating off
our machine to NT.

As much as I hate to, I'm scanning the listserv exec's to see where this is
being done and may have to code something to look for mail to that list. :-(
What I'm looking for is a way to "see" the request for the list, then throw
it in the Bit Bucket, without doing anything or notifying anyone...

Thanks for tips/suggestions/comments/experiences/etc...

Howard Speight