"John, Laura" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:02:41 -0700
Roger Burns wrote:

>That method won't work.  What you can do to achieve the same end result
>is to put the following text in your bottom banner (I'm using a made-up
>listname and listserv domain):

>  To remove yourself from this list, simply send an e-mail
>  (message text and Subject: line do not matter) to the
>  address [log in to unmask]

>Naturally, you'll need to change "MSNBC" to the actual name of your
>list, and LISTSERV.MSNBC.COM to the actual domain name of the address of
>your Listserv.
>Use an actual address rather than trying to use listserv "&" variables.

Roger, thanks for the advice. We are already using text like this at the
bottom of the newsletters, and unfortunately people still have problems
unsubscribing. Usually it's something like they signed up using an address
like [log in to unmask] but their real address is [log in to unmask], where
webtv does some sort of translation to allow them to use either. This type
of problem is easy to solve, I just scan the list for "someone" or
"someone@webtv". However, there have been a number of unsubscription
requests where I can't for the life of me figure out the subscribed address,
and the address that the user swears that they received the newsletter at is
not in the list. That's the problem I was trying to solve.

Thanks!
Laura