Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 22:21:58 -0400
On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Dave Kinnaman wrote:

> Trish,
>
> Maybe I'm just being unclear, but only the last part of your message
> seems to be responsive to my needs.  I am interested in allowing POSTS,
> not subscriptions, from anonymous remailers.

  I thought you were talking about ANON specifically.

> I'm sorry I was unclear, but I am still concerned that this filter =
> Also, and FILTER_ALSO stuff seems to be removing the possibility of
> anonymous POSTING along with the bathwater of anonymous subscribing.

    It is certainly true that use of the global FILTER_ALSO as
defined in the documentation would have an impact on every list on a
listserv, just as the SERVE OFF command option does, regardless of
whether a listowner has a 'Filter= Also,' list header or not.  The
issue you raise is independent of the 'filter' list header.

  So yes, if you are concerned that your listserv maintainer/postmaster
might include an address (be it anonymous or not) in a 'FILTER_ALSO'
command option that would effect your list...then what options do
you as a listowner have at your site?  I would think that you would
also have the same concern about the SERVE OFF command.  I can
imagine that this might be a concern for listowners.

  I don't have a solution for you, but I can tell you what we are planning
to do here.  We are setting up a closed listowner's list for the
campus where this kind of information will be posted along with
changes in listserv versions, etc.  I suspect I will be accountable
to our listowner's for my use of FILTER_ALSO and any commands that I may
execute that will have an impact on their lists, and at times be called
upon to provide justification for my actions.  It is also true that I
will at times question their actions if I receive a complaint from
someone filtered out in one of their list headers.  It is a two-way
street that requires some cooporation and communication...  Listserv
maintainers/postmasters are very reasonable people based on my
experience.  You might want to express your concern to yours.

--Trish
--
Trish Forrest
Computing Services, University of Windsor