Niall O'Reilly <EARNUCD@IRLEARN>
Wed, 10 May 89 01:07:18 GMT
Seems to me that this raises the question of whether BITNIC should be
part of the LISTSERV backbone.

As Marty pointed out, BITNIC is the nearest LISTSERV backbone node to
the CUNY INTERBIT gateway.  It is also the nearest backbone node to the
point where EARN is plugged into BITNET (CUNY too).  As I see it, it
follows that all DIST/DIST2 traffic

              from EARN to BITNET,
              from BITNET to EARN, and
              from BITNET/EARN/NETNORTH/etc near CUNY to the Internet

reaches CUNY, is directed up the 9.6 kbit/sec wire to BITNIC, and is
returned to CUNY before continuing on its way.  Of course, I understand
that the BITNIC LISTSERV does some useful processing, and doesn't just
reflect the traffic back to CUNY.  However, it does seem to me that, if CUNY
can't become part of the LISTSERV backbone, then BITNIC shouldn't
remain part of it.

I may be way off beam, but didn't we just have a crisis?

Niall