Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:08:51 EST
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:51:56 -0500 Dick Duggan said:
>I'm running Listserv for NT v1.8c.  Yesterday I changed a .list file and
>may have corrupted it.

Probably, if you tried to edit it in a text editor.  This is not supported.
The proper method is to use the GET and PUT commands.

>                        After the update, Listserv ceased responding
>to email and when I checked the NT services, it was not running.
>When we tried to start it, after about 10 seconds NT said that it (the
>service) had stopped "unexpectedly".
>
>I removed the offending .list file but it still wouldn't start.  We restarted
>the server to no avail.  We restored the main directory from a backup
>on last Friday but still it will not start.
>
>NT gives no error messages other than the above and none of its logs
>show anything from Listserv.

What does the LISTSERV log say (in \LISTSERV\LOG)?  What happens if you
try to start the server interactively, with LSV START ?

>There are several .job files in the spool directory which I take to be
>incoming mail that it hasn't dealt with.

Correct.

>Before I try a reinstall, any ideas on how to wake it up?

Again, what does the log say?  There should be <something> in there to
indicate what is happening at runtime.

Nathan