Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:56:08 -0400
On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 16:01:51 -0600, Ben Parker said:

> Frankly I wonder why this topic comes up so often?  Do people not trust
> LISTSERV will distribute their message?  Is the only acceptable proof of
> sending to get back a copy your own message?  I get too much email already
> and I want neither a REPRO copy or an ACK either or both of which I would
> simply have to delete.

People don't trust the combination of local MTA, listserv, remote MTA, and
multiple variants of anti-spam technology at every level to actually get
their message into the recipient's mailboxes.  And it's not just Listserv,
I've had the exact same problem with Mailman-based mailing lists - gmail
doesn't care what the MLM is, it will smack down your copy of the post
as a "duplicate" if it saw it outbound.

And "proof of sending" isn't always the use case - in my case, it's simply that
I'd rather have *THIS THREAD* in my 'lstsrv-l' folder, and not have to take
drastic measures to ensure that this message shows up in that folder and get
threaded directly.  And yes, adding 20 or 30 special filtering rules so
stuff for 20 or 30 lists ends up in the right folder rather than 'outbox'
is "drastic measures" time (especially if your MUA only allows one 'outbox'
copy but you're posting a reply to something cross-posted to 3 or 4
mailing lists, and want it correctly threaded in all 3 or 4 folders of yours.

And all of this Just Works using methods that have been well-understood
for over 2 decades, as long as gmail doesn't eat your own copies
because it saw it when you posted it....