Thu, 2 Apr 2015 17:08:54 -0400
First, I wonder if all that is actually necessary, since you say the
original assigned address still works after student customization.
What's the point of updating the LISTSERV system every time the students
pick some new moniker for themselves (supposing that the
machine-readable class rolls are all populated prior to customizing, so
the faculty will always be subscribing the original ID)?

All you actually need, in LISTSERV, is something that will get the
messages to the student inbox - LISTSERV would not *have to* be updated
unless a customized address is subscribed and gets re-customized.  But
in between the time of re-customizing and the time your update runs,
there may be messages sent which the student will not receive.  So
perhaps it is more important to keep customized versions of the address
OUT of LISTSERV, rather than work hard on getting them into it.

But to address your question:
Place the collection of change commands inside an "ok begin/end" block
in the body of an email message, send that email from a Postmaster
address to LISTSERV, then respond to the confirmation request it generates.

The ok begin/end method is in section 15.7 of the manual here:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/15.5/htmlhelp/site%20managers/SecurityFeaturesandFunctions.17.1.html