CERN Eric Thomas <ERIC@CEARN>
Mon, 31 Aug 1987 23:41 GVA
  I have found the cause of these DMSSMN109S messages. It was *very* difficult
to pinpoint because the cause has disappeared  in CMS5, and I had to look into
the CMS3 sources on a sudden impulse to locate the culprit.

  The shitty DMSCPY used to issue a  GETMAIN call to obtain storage under CMS3
and CMS4  (just checked  on the FRECP11  sources). By the  way in  case you've
never had a look at it, I recommend reading the blurb in DMSCPY explaining how
great  a programming  design  they have  contrived for  it  with, among  other
objectives, FAST EXECUTION SPEED in mind.  No comment. Well, it seems that the
authors of  DMSCPY never  quite realized  that the program  would run  on this
brand new toy called  'CMS' (which was not going to  survive much long anyway,
so why learn about this complicated DMSFREE when you have the good'ole GETMAIN
available?), or then they  took some MVS utility as a  starting point and kept
the GETMAIN "just to be sure it works the same". For some reason, the code has
been changed to use  DMSFREE in SP5. Maybe because it runs  in the nucleus and
would therefore  have to expect being  called from somewhere ^=  user area. In
any case it's good news, especially as there is nothing I can do to solve this
problem  (except rewrite  COPYFILE which  I DON'T  intend to  do). I  am using
COPYFILE to extract stuff from a file, not for a verbatim copy, so I can't use
FCOPY. Hmm... After  all I'm pretty sure  that SP4 COPYFILE can  be PTFed into
using DMSFREE, but is that really worth  it? I can't provide the update anyway
as I don't have a CMS4 here and nobody would be interested in a CMS3 fix.

  A last question which has nothing to do  with the above: does any of you out
there  have managed  to understand  fully the  CMS5 fullscreen  crap? No  lies
please, everybody can pop a few  windows and move them around (especially with
the doc in hand),  I mean really being able to do just  what you want with the
thing. Such as if I stumbled into your room and told you, "move this window up
there and show  me the bottom of it", you  could do it on the spot  as you can
with  a good'ole  M*C? I'm  just feeling  like an  IQ=60 end-user  reading the
helpfile  for the  FORTVS  compiler  options and  pondering  whether he  needs
'NOGOSTMT' or  'STAE' or both  when I 'SET  FULLSCREEN ON'. Granted,  all this
fullscreen support is  just a huge joke  that was made in an  attempt to laugh
the director of  Apple corp to death, but  still, when you're  under XEDIT and
*beep* a  window pops in in  the middle of the  screen and "how the  heck do I
move this  darn thing away"  (...censored curses...) "Invalid WM  command: SET
FULLSCREEN OFF" (...more unholy curses...)  "Current window overlaid; enter WM
command" (...)  "wahahahahahah!!! I wanna  my XEDIT screen back!!",  well, you
tend to  get the impression  that you've become  a white haired  old-timer and
maybe  the time  has  come for  you  to  retire and  start  on something  less
demanding like gardening or fishing... ;-)

  Eric